My Beloved is ONE alone; Everywhere my eyes seem Him only. In search of love, I came to this world, but after seeing the world I wept, for I felt coldness on all sides, and I cried out in despair, "Must I too Become cold?". And with tears, tears, tears, I nurtured that plant with tenderness which I had almost lost within my heart. Putting reason in the churn of love, I churned and churned. Then I took the butter for myself.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

MIND means: the creator of thought and imagination.

The mind has five aspects, but the aspect that is best known is that for which we use the word 'mind.' Mind means: the creator of thought and imagination. The mind is the soil upon which, in the form of thoughts and imaginations, plants grow. They live there; but, as they are continually springing up, only the newly created plants are before one's consciousness, and those plants and trees that were created before are hidden from one's eyes. Therefore, when thoughts and imaginations are forgotten, then they are no longer before one and one does not think about them anymore. However, whenever one wishes to find a thought that has once been shaped, it can immediately be found, for it still exists in the mind.
-Hazrat Inayat Khan, a Sufi
I received what I personally call my Hazrat Book when I was in my middle 30's. This a book if I had on a desert island, it would still take me multiple lifetimes to actually finish studying and I am NOT exaggerating that I wouldn't even get done then. This is a man that spoke, "every leaf on a tree is a book" on multiple occasions throughout that huge book of his compiled lectures and teachings. Compiled by those close to the man and not a book he sat down and wrote. There are quite a few other books out there with Hazrat's teachings, but I have found I kept returning to my giant book. Holding your breath for an easy to read listing of the "5 Aspects of the Mind" is the demands of an American accustomed to being spoon fed the information that is overseen by the hardened Institution of Education in our culture.
psyche
1640s, "animating spirit," from L. psyche, from Gk. psykhe "the soul, mind, spirit, breath, life, the invisible animating principle or entity which occupies and directs the physical body" (personified as Psykhe, the lover of Eros), akin to psykhein "to blow, cool," from PIE base *bhes- "to blow" (cf. Skt. bhas-). The word had extensive sense development in Platonic philosophy and Jewish-influenced theological writing of St. Paul. In English, psychological sense is from 1910. (Emphasis mine)
mind (n.)
O.E. gemynd "memory, thinking, intention," P.Gmc. *ga-menthijan (cf. Goth. muns "thought," munan "to think;" O.N. minni "mind;" Ger. minne, originally "memory, loving memory"), from PIE base *men- "think, remember, have one's mind aroused" (cf. Skt. matih "thought," munih "sage, seer;" Gk. memona "I yearn," mania "madness," mantis "one who divines, prophet, seer;" L. mens "mind, understanding, reason," memini "I remember," mentio "remembrance;" Lith. mintis "thought, idea," O.C.S. mineti "to believe, think," Rus. pamjat "memory"). "Memory" is one of the oldest senses, now almost obsolete except in old expressions such as bear in mind, call to mind. Phrase time out of mind is attested from early 15c. To pay no mind "disregard" is recorded from 1916, Amer.Eng. dialect. To have half a mind to "to have one's mind half made up to (do something)" is recorded from 1726. Mind-reading is from 1882.
Hazrat Inayat Khan, a Sufi earned great popularity and fame in the West during his travels (from 1910 to 1926) in the U.S.A., U.K. and Europe and 1910 is a date coinciding with the use of Greek term PSYCHE in a psychological sense and Khan was not ignorant of ancient Macedonia with Alexander the Great. Hellenization is a term coined by the German historian Johann Gustav Droysen to denote the spread of Greek language, culture, and population into the former Persian empire after Alexander's conquest.

The above etymological histories also disclose the terms MIND and PSYCHE share a common linguistical root in ancient soil and the culture bringing forth the language of SANSKRIT. Hazrat Inayat Khan, a Sufi had an in depth knowledge and understanding of this ancient language, and was yet able to also speak the English language as well as many other.
Sanskrit
1610s, from Skt. samskrtam "put together, well-formed, perfected," from sam "together" + krta- "to make, do, perform." The first element is cognate with Eng. same; the second is from PIE *k(w)er- "to make, form" (related to karma).






Working on entry

No comments:

Post a Comment