My Beloved is ONE alone; Everywhere my eyes seem Him only. In search of love, I came to this world, but after seeing the world I wept, for I felt coldness on all sides, and I cried out in despair, "Must I too Become cold?". And with tears, tears, tears, I nurtured that plant with tenderness which I had almost lost within my heart. Putting reason in the churn of love, I churned and churned. Then I took the butter for myself.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

MENTOR

mentor
"wise advisor," 1750, from Gk. Mentor, character in the "Odyssey," friend of Odysseus, adviser of Telemachus (often actually Athene in disguise), perhaps ult. meaning "adviser," since the name appears to be an agent noun of mentos "intent, purpose, spirit, passion" from PIE *mon-eyo- (cf. Skt. man-tar- "one who thinks," L. mon-i-tor "one who admonishes"), causative form of base *men- "to think" (see mental). Related: Mentored; mentoring.
We each find ourselves in our assorted colored flesh coverings in unique environments of people, places and situations. It is said that even grown siblings all raised under the same roof by the same parents will carry memories of childhood wherein you could think they had been raised in different houses. In a nation that stretches from the Atlantic ocean to the Pacific ocean there exists a multiplicity of subcultures within the primary culture that could be loosely defined as American Culture.

American English (variously abbreviated AmE, AE, AmEng, USEng, en-US, also known as United States English, or U.S. English) is a set of dialects of the English language used mostly in the United States. Approximately two-thirds of native speakers of English live in the United States.[2]

English is the most common language in the United States. Though the U.S. federal governmentde facto language of the United States because of its widespread use. English has been given official status by 28 of the 50 state governments. has no official language, English is considered the

The use of English in the United States was inherited from British colonization. The first wave of English-speaking settlers arrived in North America in the 17th century. During that time, there were also speakers in North America of Spanish, French, Dutch, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Scots, Welsh, Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Finnish, Russian (in Alaska), and numerous Native American languages.

When I graduated from high school in 1968 my older brother and girlfriend who then became his wife, gifted me a Webster's Dictionary with etymological entries next to words and a small encyclopedia in the back. I once stated that if I had the choice of one book on a deserted island to provide me entertainment, it would be that Websters that was gifted to me now in my basement in a box and totally worn out.

For example, the English term MENTOR is disclosed to have been seen in writing for the first time in the year 1750. I could flip back to the brief encyclopedia and check out what was going on in the year 1750 to provide a type of historic backdrop for the birthing of a new term into my own spoken and writing language. I perhaps could have found that this is the year given for the beginning of the Industrial Revolution and also the year that Galley slavery was abolished in Europe.
A galley slave was a slave rowing in a galley. The expression has two distinct meanings: it can refer either to a convicted criminal sentenced to work at the oar (French: forçat or galérien), or to a kind of human chattel, often a prisoner of war, assigned to his duty of rowing.
History of humanity will disclose that SLAVES came in a great multiplicity of colors of flesh. Our own American legal system imported from the British Isles with a language system of English specializes in the definition of the word PROPERTY.
Personal property, roughly speaking, is private property that is moveable, as opposed to real property or real estate. In the common law systems personal property may also be called chattels or personalty. In the civil law systems personal property is often called movable property or movables - any property that can be moved from one location to another. This term is in distinction with immovable property or immovables, such as land and buildings. Movable property on land, that which was not automatically sold with the land, included for example larger livestock (wildlife and smaller livestock like chickens, by contrast, was often sold as part of the land). In fact the word cattle is the Old Norman variant of Old French chatel (derived from Latin capitalis, “of the head”), which was once synonymous with general movable personal property.
In the early 1980's I personally recall my own emotional response to seeing my four children names set on on a PROPERTY SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT that was filed with the court with divorce papers. Seeing my children names on a legal document along with furniture, cars, etc., is a memory I may only described as leaving me totally disgusted and repulsed with the modern American legal system. The term PROPERTY will not slide over my tongue with total ease.

When I personally refer to Hazrat Inayat Khan, a Sufi (July 5, 1882 – February 5, 1927) as my own MENTOR you may be assured that particular English NOUN was not casually chosen. The English term NOUN has its own etymological root system traceable to the written language of the Roman Empire, Latin. ROMANCE languages such as Latin and French for example, have their linguistic root growing in the cultural soil of ancient ROME, not in some romantic love story.
noun
late 14c., from Anglo-Fr. noun "name, noun," from O.Fr. nom, non, from L. nomen "name, noun" (see name).



I.E. Indo-European, the family of languages that includes most of the languages of modern Europe (English among them) and some current and extinct ones in western and southern Asia. All are presumed to share a common ancestor, PIE.

PIE Proto-Indo-European, the hypothetical reconstructed ancestral language of the Indo-European family. The time scale is much debated, but the most recent date proposed for it is about 5,500 years ago.



Entry Not Finished

No comments:

Post a Comment