My Beloved is ONE alone; Everywhere my eyes seem Him only. In search of love, I came to this world, but after seeing the world I wept, for I felt coldness on all sides, and I cried out in despair, "Must I too Become cold?". And with tears, tears, tears, I nurtured that plant with tenderness which I had almost lost within my heart. Putting reason in the churn of love, I churned and churned. Then I took the butter for myself.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

(END OF BOOK) Neurocognitive Disorder - schizophrenia was a word invented in 1912

I HOLD COMPASSION FOR THOSE FAMILY MEMBERS
HEARING THE WORD SCHIZOPHRENIA ATTACHED TO A LOVED ONE

A neuron or nerve cell that can be found in our brains

A neuron (pronounced /ˈnjʊərɒn/ N(Y)OOR-on, also known as a neurone or nerve cell) is an electrically excitable cell that processes and transmits information by electrical and chemical signaling. Chemical signaling occurs via synapses, specialized connections with other cells. Neurons connect to each other to form networks. Neurons are the core components of the nervous system, which includes the brain, spinal cord, and peripheral ganglia. A number of specialized types of neurons exist: sensory neurons respond to touch, sound, light and numerous other stimuli affecting cells of the sensory organs that then send signals to the spinal cord and brain. Motor neurons receive signals from the brain and spinal cord and cause muscle contractions and affect glands. Interneurons connect neurons to other neurons within the same region of the brain or spinal cord.

A typical neuron possesses a cell body (often called the soma), dendrites, and an axon. Dendrites are filaments that arise from the cell body, often extending for hundreds of micrometres and branching multiple times, giving rise to a complex "dendritic tree". An axon is a special cellular filament that arises from the cell body at a site called the axon hillock and travels for a distance, as far as 1 m in humans or even more in other species. The cell body of a neuron frequently gives rise to multiple dendrites, but never to more than one axon, although the axon may branch hundreds of times before it terminates. At the majority of synapses, signals are sent from the axon of one neuron to a dendrite of another. There are, however, many exceptions to these rules: neurons that lack dendrites, neurons that have no axon, synapses that connect an axon to another axon or a dendrite to another dendrite, etc.

All neurons are electrically excitable, maintaining voltage gradients across their membranes by means of metabolically driven ion pumps, which combine with ion channels embedded in the membrane to generate intracellular-versus-extracellular concentration differences of ions such as sodium, potassium, chloride, and calcium. Changes in the cross-membrane voltage can alter the function of voltage-dependent ion channels. If the voltage changes by a large enough amount, an all-or-none electrochemical pulse called an action potential is generated, which travels rapidly along the cell's axon, and activates synaptic connections with other cells when it arrives.

Neurons of the adult brain do not generally undergo cell division, and usually cannot be replaced after being lost, although there are a few known exceptions. In most cases they are generated by special types of stem cells, although astrocytes (a type of glial cell) have been observed to turn into neurons as they are sometimes pluripotent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurons


If there is something I can point my finger at that causes me mental stress,

it is the childish word SCHIZOPHRENIA.



ITS NOT THAT I DON'T LIKE PSYCHIATRISTS
I JUST DISLIKE THEIR WORD SCHIZOPHRENIA

A psychiatrist is an adult that has spends years focused gaining information and knowledge on the word schizophrenia. Textbooks, manuals, dictionaries, etc., have the word SCHIZOPHRENIA printed within them. I sincerely doubt they will trash all that paper and have everyone learn a new word.

But as another adult wearing human flesh like a psychiatrist, when I watch someone I love swallow pharmaceuticals, those chemicals are headed to a place within their physical bodies and they are not directed to run and jump in a MIND THAT IS SPLIT like the Grand Canyon is split. The admonishment is to be childlike not childish and I keep returning to my conclusion that the word schizophrenia is childish. Sticks and stones may break your bones, but schizo is a word used to insult in the world outside the doors of a hospital.

With the credentials of an adult human, it is my real opinion that the above picture should be hung in a large size and placed in an area where both patients and visitors can have VISUAL awareness of the complexity faced when even thinking about the cell structure of a NEURON. I have met far to many young adults when I have been a visitor that are patients because they had not been taking their meds.

I have absolutely no attraction to the job taken on by a person choosing to study psychiatry. I have taken chemistry in high school and did well, but as far as prescribing pharmaceuticals in connection to cells such as a neuron with chemical electrical activity, it is not my proverbial cup of tea. I have listened to other parents now for over 15 years and my last experience was just several months ago. So, so many talk about their adult children's medications like those prescriptions belonged to the parent. They knew the names and doses and times for ingestion. I just personally have never been called into a psychiatrists office for consultation on drug choices or dosages. I have personally chosen to refer to medication as HIS MED CASE. My own MED CASE routine reinforces that those meds are HIS and not his parent's and is another topic. Codependent is a word that was birthed in 1983, and a word I wish that had been around earlier.

In 1994 a psychiatrist made his diagnosis and handed this mother the word schizophrenia attached to my son. My own personal opinions in regard to that childish word made absolutely no difference. Rather, by 1995 I began referring to my son's diagnosis as:
A disorder affecting the very delicate chemical balance in his brain, and the brain is the primary organ within our central nervous system.
Longer sentence and takes more air to spit out, but at least it carries information to the ears of another human that hears it. I do not chose to speak the word schizophrenia on any consistent basis, and that is my choice and a choice based upon the best interest of a loved one. This is one serious disorder of our central nervous system and statistics relating to result of the symptom named suicidal ideation could easily be pulled off the internet right now. If this mother does not have the eyes to see the the complexity of pharmaceutical intervention in the activity of neurons, how can I expect humans around me to learn and gain information as to the seriousness of a psychiatric ward. It is not a joke.

I had a son with a wrist bracelet similar to the ones put on wandering Alzheimer patients to buzz the nurses station if he got too close to doors. It was the winter of 1996-97 and I falsely assumed my son was safe in the hospital for a med adjustment on a very cold night. I got a knock on my door and my 6'4" son was standing there with a short sleeve shirt and no coat with snow all over him. He had a smile and said, "Mom, I wanted to come home" and came in totally oblivious to the cold and having walked over 10 blocks from the hospital. I wrapped him in blanket to try to warm him up and called the nurses station. I actually argued with them when they said I was wrong, "he's in his room". I responded, I am his mother, I know my son and it him sitting here with me. That same winter a young man close to his age with the same diagnoses was found dead due to exposure. His body had been found outside and he had froze to death. Sensitivity to hot and cold is a function of our CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM.

This is a disorder carrying the real capacity to KILL. I could die before the morning and tonight I know that my son realizes the importance of HIS MED CASE. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 2007 taking one class at a time, living independently and saving money to pay tuition and book costs from a very small Social Security Disability check. This is my son that a doctor in Denver in 2002 said had rated a 10 of having the most severe symptoms of schizophrenia. This doctor referred to him as a MIRACLE in 2002 saying most with that score would be facing institutionalization for the rest of their lives.

I do not play games with the word schizophrenia.



Entry Not Finished





No comments:

Post a Comment